Friday, August 9, 2013

Dog Toys & The ENT

My favorite part of summer is swimming. Weightless movement and exercising with no worry of pulled muscles, profuse sweating or annoying sounding video instructors. Yes, swimming is fun, refreshing and the most fun exercising that it almost doesn't feel like exercising at all. But swimmer beware: Diving in the deep end can cause countless hours of painful earaches.

Having never had swimmers ear or a ruptured ear drum, and rarely an ear infection, I found myself in quite the conundrum. I dove into the deep end to retrieve a sinking dog toy. My ear drum popped, as it had before, and I thought nothing of it. Until the ear ache began. Then the swelling and drainage.

After ten days of ear drops, prescription antibiotics and pain I finally made my way to see the ENT. Diagnoses....all of the above. Yay!! Gouging, suction, washing, more suction and two ear-tampons later I'm headed out the door with one deaf ear, two prescriptions, two shots in my rear cheeks and an appointment card to return for more fun two days later. Yee-haw!

So, better safe than sorry. Ear plugs for future swims and the dog can retrieve her toys.

Happy summer and safe swimming.

No comments:

Post a Comment