Monday, June 10, 2013

The Lemonade Stand I Call Life

I was raised with the mentality that if you wanted to succeed in life....if you wanted to live the "American Dream" you had to work hard. That if you worked hard you would be rewarded. I was taught to play by the book. Obey the rules and be a good person. Do unto others, etc. etc.

I started work when I was thirteen. I went to school. I went to church. I went to work. I did my chores. I guess people would have said I was a good girl. I was never suspended from school or even got a paddling. I didn't smoke. I've never been drunk. Never arrested or in trouble with the law. Heck, I've never even had a speeding ticket.

I went to work full-time right out of high school. Married and worked until I had children. Raised two boys. Went back to work. Volunteered at their school, was room mom and team mom for sports teams. I volunteered at church and traveled as a youth chaperon and assisted the youth minister. Taught Sunday school, helped with the youth ministry, worked in AWANA and sang in the choir. I coordinated Fall Festivals, worked in the nursery, VBS and bereavement ministry. All while my husband worked and traveled with a southern gospel quartet.

We were busy parents but we worked hard and treated people right. We played by the rules. We gave to our church, we helped friends in need, we were good to our family. We expected life to be fair.

Well, guess what. Life's not fair. Sometimes we don't get what we give. But as the saying goes.....if life gives you lemons make lemonade.

I could open up a lemonade stand.

K.I. Real

No comments:

Post a Comment